Friday, April 22, 2011

Flashback Fridays

I have decided that on Fridays, I'll post one new poem and one old one.

New:

Some days you are so
tired you can only come
up with a haiku.


Old:


Releasing my Brother

Away!  Away!  Into the deep
we cast you, under moonlit skies,
and, voices chill with February,
warm with wine, we called your name
and many other words that night,
the sound exploding from our lips.

I almost read a Bible verse
because it would have pissed you off
but settled instead on Dylan Thomas,
a poet, playwright, and fellow drunk
to sing the holy road your dust
would follow to eternity.

I hope that you can rest now,
rocked and rolled on the western waves,
shrouded by the gulf.  I hope
your soul will find a kind of peace
wrapped in the salty arms of God,
in the only place I ever saw you
happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment